HISTORY OF THE DISTRICT
Formed in 1962, the Sierra Kings Health Care District (the District) encompasses approximately 247,188 acres (386 square miles) in southeast Fresno County. Until recently, the Sierra Kings Health Care District operated the only hospital in the area. Like many other rural hospitals, the District faced significant fiscal challenges maintaining quality care for those in need. In April 2011, as per a unanimous vote of the District and voter approval of Measure G, the District hospital joined the network of hospital and clinics owned and operated by Adventist Health.
- Paid off 100% of debt in bankruptcy,
- Paid off the USDA loan early,
- Paid off the employee pension,
- Provided a sustainable solution to maintain the hospital,
- Salvaged hundreds of jobs, and
- Continues to own 5 acres of real property.